Kansspelautoriteit (KSA), the official Gambling Authority of the Netherlands, has released the 2023 Gambling Market Scan, providing insights into the country’s gambling industry in 2022. This year was especially noteworthy as it marked the first full year of legal online gambling in the Netherlands, a topic extensively explored in the report.

According to the report, the total gaming gross result (BSR) for 2022 amounted to €3.4bn ($4.13bn), representing a significant €1.4bn increase compared to the previous year. The report attributes this growth to a combination of factors, including a rise in demand for land-based casinos and arcades following the Covid-19 pandemic, but more notably, the accessibility of online gambling.

Online gambling accounted for 31% of the total BSR in 2022, while land-based gambling made up the remaining 69%. Casino games were the most popular choice among gamblers, comprising 56% of the BSR, while lotteries accounted for 10%, with 8% conducted online.

A comparison with 2018 statistics reveals the most significant shifts in value within the online market. The land-based gambling industry in the Netherlands experienced severe setbacks in 2020 and 2021 due to the pandemic. While revenues are recovering, they have yet to reach the levels seen in 2018 and 2019. In contrast, the online gambling market has experienced substantial growth since its legalization.

In terms of individual spending, the average Dutch adult spent €258 on gambling in 2022, compared to €158 in 2021 and €221 in 2019, prior to the pandemic. This aligns with the trend observed in many European countries, where more money is typically spent on land-based gambling rather than online gambling. Lastly, on average, Dutch citizens spent 14% less on gambling compared to their European counterparts in 2022.

If you are interested in opening an online casino, read here – White Label Casino

Leave a Reply

Interested in our Solutions?


    Interested in our Domains?


      Contact